As data rates continually increase in many applications, signal integrity simulation and analysis are required to optimize the high-speed serial channel. Several design considerations are driven by signal integrity concerns.
- Connector selection drives performance.
- PCB design decisions (placement, routing, material selection, trace lengths, impedance matching, etc.) can enhance or adversely affect the performance of the high-speed serial channel.
- Routing breakout from the connector is often overlooked.
In response to these factors, large electronics OEMs have developed in house signal integrity expertise. They have the scope and scale to hire teams of engineers dedicated to signal integrity simulation and analysis.
They also have the resources in place to afford the expensive industry-standard signal integrity tools used in simulating and analyzing their systems.
Small and medium-sized electronics OEMs often do not have these resources. Their typical path of signal integrity support is through any number of signal integrity consultants.
Over the years, Samtec has consulted with numerous electronics OEMs on signal integrity issues in support of their products.
Introducing Samtec’s Channelyzer
A combination of customer demand and our in-house signal integrity expertise has enabled Samtec to develop and release the CHANNELYZER™ ONLINE FULL CHANNEL SIMULATION AND ANALYSIS tool.
Samtec’s Channelyzer™ delivers high-speed serial channel performance data and optimization strategies within 24 hours. Leveraging user-defined system inputs, this easy-to-use tool provides the necessary data to reinforce channel confidence.
Features of Channelyzer™ include:
- Channel modeling defined by package model, connector selection, PCB material, trace type and length and other system variables
- Simulated test results for standards (IEEE 100GBASE-KR4, OIF CEI-28G-SR, OIF CEI-28G-MR and OIF CEI-25G-LR) and transceivers at varying equalization levels and data rates
- Generated individual receiver performance data per user-defined Tx/Rx assignments
- Channelyzer™ reporting details include:
- Channel overview and strategies for improved performance
- Differential impedance, insertion loss, return loss, PSXT
- Voltage bathtub curves
- COM as a function of BER
- Probability density eye summary
Samtec has created an introductory video to enable quick adoption of this easy to use tool.
Please send inquiries on tool support or suggestions on new features Channelyzer development and support team at eHelpDesk@samtec.com.
For questions about Channelyzer test reports, high-speed serial channel simulation analysis or any other signal integrity related issues, please contact Samtec’s signal integrity experts at SIG@samtec.com.