As bandwidth requirements become more difficult to route over any distance through a lossy PCB, system architects now have an alternative signal path strategy through Samtec Flyover™. Samtec Flyover™ designs break the constraints of traditional signaling substrate and hardware offerings, resulting in a cost effective, high-performance answer to the challenges of 28 Gbps and beyond.
Samtec Flyover™ QSFP28 Cable System
Samtec proudly announces the release of the new Flyover™ QSFP28 Cable System. This system allows sideband signaling via press-fit contacts to improve airflow, reduce loss, and mitigate skew. The FQSFP series offers features including:
- 28G NRZ/56G PAM4 data rates per channel
- 3.5 W heat dissipation
- Aggregate data rates of 100 Gbps NRZ/200 Gbps PAM4
- Compatibility with all MSA QSFP pluggables
- A variety of heat sink options
- Multiple End 2 options
- Localized press-fit control and power contacts
The Samtec Flyover™ QSFP28 Cable System consists of the FQSFP assembly, the QSFPC cage, HS-QSFP heat sink, and LP-FQSFP light pipe. The FQSFP offers multiple End 2 options including DCH, ECUE, and ARC6. FQSFP utilizes 30 & 34 AWG 100 Ω Eye Speed® Ultra Low Skew Twinax Cable.
Using the FQSFP series allows for a much longer electrical trace and convenient selection for the endpoint of the SerDes termination. The process of routing through the FQFSP series allows designers to locate the QSFP interface much further from the ASIC or processor than traditional PCB routing would allow. This also removes the need for expensive retimers or power hungry drivers and receivers.
As part of an ever growing SI Evaluation Kit offering, Samtec also offers an FQSFP SI Evaluation Kit for evaluation and development. The SI Evaluation kits are offered with features including:
- Compact form factor
- One Flyover QSFP28 Cable Assembly (FQSFP-01-XX.X-L-PF-2)
- Supports multiple FQSFP series cable length options
- Routes high-speed differential pairs (8 total) from DCH series to high-precision RF connectors
- Routes high-speed differential pairs (8 total) from FQSFP series to high-precision RF connectors
- Supports multiple high-precision RF connector options (1.85 mm/2.4 mm/2.92 mm)
- Optimized SI performance via Samtec Final Inch BOR PCB trace routing
- Enable time domain measurements via direct connection to TDR/TDTs
- Enable frequency domain measurements via direct connection to VNAs
For more information, please visit the Flyover™ QSFP28 Cable System landing page or download the Flyover QSFP Application Design Guide. Immediate technical support is available from Samtec’s HDR application experts at HDR@Samtec.com.