System designers and engineers constantly face design challenges to achieve higher data-rates in dense, optical applications. A popular system-level design approach in many high-speed applications marries the configurability and high-speed performance of FPGAs with the advantages of fiber optics.
Samtec’s new 25 Gbps and 28 Gbps FireFly™ VITA 57.4 FMC+ Development Kits provide an easy connection between FPGAs and fiber optics. This new solution offers an easy-to-use evaluation and development platform for Samtec’s FireFly™ optical engines.
Easy-to-use, High-Performance VITA 57.4 FMC+
Samtec’s 25/28 Gbps FireFlyTM FMC+ Modules provide up to 400/448 Gbps full-duplex bandwidth over up to 16 channels from an FPGA/SoC to an industry-standard multi-mode fiber optic cable. The new kits support protocols including Ethernet, InfiniBandTM, Fibre Channel and Aurora typically found in Video, Mil/Aero, Embedded Computing, Instrumentation, HPC and Data Center applications.
FireFlyTM optical engines make the electrical to optical conversion in the transmit path and the optical to electrical conversion in the receive path. They are based on proven MultiMode optics and support cable lengths up to 100 m.
As a VITA 57.4-compliant FMC+ Module, Samtec’s new solutions can be used for optical data communication on any FPGA/SoC development platform that supports the VITA 57.4 interface. Both kits can run system data or BERT testing from a single channel to all sixteen channels in parallel. Technical documentation and FPGA reference designs are available for quick start-up.
Features and Applications
Additional features of the 25/28 Gbps FireFly™ FMC+ Development Kits include:
- VITA 57.4 FPGA Mezzanine Card (FMC+) form factor
- HSPC VITA 57.4 FMC+ connector
- Four (1 TX/1 RX) FireFly™ two-piece SMT connector systems (UCC8/UEC5-2)
- Uses Samtec FireFly™ optical engines (ECUO-B04)
- Features optimized SI performance via Samtec Final Inch® BOR PCB trace routing for FireFly™ and FMC connectors
- Supports up to 16 high-speed, multi-gigabit transceivers (TX and RX) operating at up to 25 Gbps or 28 Gbps per channel
- Industry-standard 24 fiber *MTP®/MPO connector
The Samtec 25/28 Gbps FireFly™ FMC+ Development Kits can support a wide range of applications including:
- FPGA Development
- Data Acquisition
- High-Performance Computing
- Data Centers
- Test and Measurement
- High-Resolution Imaging (i.e. Medical)
- Broadcast Video/Audio
For more information on the 25 Gbps and 28 Gbps FireFly™ FMC+ Development Kits, please read the press release, visit the kit website or download the Product Brief. Immediate technical support is available from Samtec’s applications experts at KitsAndBoards@samtec.com.