As consumers, no one ever complains that their wireless connectivity is “too fast”. Global wireless carriers and network providers continue to push the limits of 4G LTE, but a next-generation wireless standard – 5G New Radio (5G NR) – is on the horizon.
5G technology will be 100x faster than current 4G LTE solutions currently on the market. While some early adopters will see 5G rollouts in late 2017 and early 2018, large-scale deployments are planned for 2019, a year earlier than anticipated.
5G solutions providers – wireless carriers, chip providers, base station OEMs, device makers and others – are feverishly developing 5G-compliant equipment. The 5G communications test market, of late, has seen lots of activity.
Guzik ADP7000 10-bit Digitizers
Guzik Technical Enterprises recently announced the ADP7000 series of AXIe modular digitizers with combined signal processors. The digitizers feature proprietary, high-performance 10-bit ADCs with sampling rates up to 2×32 Gsa/s and analog bandwidth up to 10 GHz.
The ADCs are combined with the DSP functionality of next-gen FPGAs, 128 GB of acquisition memory and real-time streaming Optical Data Interfaces (ODI). This new test platform offers unprecedented fidelity, speed and processing capability required by 5G NR wireless communications, in one standard package.
Key features of the ADP7000 series include:
- FPGA-based reconfigurable DSPs with up to Real-Time 32 Gsa/s processing speed
- Up to Real-Time digital full band frequency and phase response equalization
- Real-Time digital down conversion DDC with frequency and phase response equalization option
- Real-Time data streaming to external devices via ODI
- High-speed data transfer to host CPUs/GPUs for fast signal processing
Samtec ECUE Copper Cable Assemblies
The ADP7000 series modules feature proprietary 10-bit digital ADCs with sampling rates up to 2×32 Gsa/s and analog bandwidth up to 10 GHz. Guzik chose Samtec’s ECUE Series Copper Cable Assemblies for connecting the high-speed, digitized ADC data to back-end processing units pictured below.
Key features of the ECUE series include:
- Pin compatible with optical FireFly™ using the same connector system
- Low-cost solution for seamless integration of new and existing designs
- Variety of end 2 termination options
- PCIe® protocol compatible (PCUE Series) x12 simplex or duplex transceiver system
Samtec ECUO Active Optical Cable Assemblies
Guzik chose Samtec’s ECUO Series Active Optical Cable Assemblies for routing high-speed digital data signals between the FPGAs and the front panel of the ADP7000. These four dedicated ODIs can be configured for Real-Time Continuous Streaming to the Guzik’s DP7000 Digital Processor, host PCs or RAIDs.
Key features of the ECUO series include:
- x12 simplex or duplex transceiver system
- x4 simplex or duplex systems in development
- 14 Gbps data rates with 28 Gbps in development
- Proven 850 nm VCSEL array technology
- Available in panel mount or full Tx-to-Rx active optical cable
- Protocol agnostic and supports Ethernet, InfiniBand™, Fibre Channel, PCIe®, Aurora and others
- Extended temperature range ETUO Series now available