PCIe 4.0 is just around the corner in 2017, at least according to the leading computer processor vendors. In recent months, both Intel and AMD have hinted at plans for PCIe 4.0 in future platforms. This promotes the advantages of the new standard with hopes of a wider range of applications.
Here is a quick review of some of PCIe 4.0 advantages:
- Double the bandwidth over PCIe 3.0 from 8 GTps to 16 GTps
- Enhanced power efficiency
- Full backwards compatibility with previous versions of PCIe
One application where PCIe is gaining traction is PCIe over Fiber. Samtec has many solutions here as shown in our PCIe® Over Fiber Design Guide. Samtec offers a variety of Active Optical Cables targeted at PCIe applications.
PCIe® Optical Flyover Cable Assembly
Samtec’s FireFly™ Micro Flyover System™ has also been used in a number of PCIe over Fiber applications. Samtec’s primary solution in this space is the PCUO FireFly™ PCIe® Optical Micro Flyover Cable Assembly.
Key features of PCUO include:
- Supports PCIe® Gen 4 specifications in links up to 100 m
- x4 optical engine enabling aggregation to x8 and x16 PCIe® optical engines
- Proven 850 nm VCSEL technology
- Multi-mode fiber technology
- Support for reset and cable present sidebands
PLDA PCIe 4.0 Platform Development Kit
Samtec recently announced that PCUO fully supports PCIe 4.0 in PLDA’s new PCIe 4.0 Platform Development Kit (PDK). The PDK helps designers immediately test PCIe Gen 4 Endpoint/PHY/boards with their own software, designs and boards in a real system.
Additional details can be found in the press release.
Samtec will display the PLDA PCIe 4.0 PDK with the PCUO FireFly™ PCIe Optical Flyover Cable Assembly at the upcoming SC16 November 14-17, 2016 in Salt Lake City, UT. Please stop by Booth #2522 for further details.