As the demand for bandwidth increases, so does the demand for higher capacity products with faster transmission capabilities. In response to these demands, Samtec has expanded the FireFly™ Micro Flyover Optical product line to solve more complex design hurdles.
Benefits such as copper and optical interchangeability, a small footprint for extreme high-density, high-speed 28+ Gbps performance and a simple assembly process makes FireFly™ the ideal solution for mid-board optics applications.
To showcase the expanding line of FireFly™ products now available and soon to be released, Samtec has released the new FireFly™ Application Design Guide. This piece gives an overview of the combined features and benefits that cannot be found in any other interconnect system, and why FireFly™ is growing in popularity.
FireFly™ is an ideal solution for countless applications including data centers, HPC, broadcast video, storage, military and industrial, disaggregated computing, and more. It is also integrated into dozens of development solutions to help take a silicon application design to the next level, with the most current being the Xilinx® Virtex® UltraScale+™ FPGA VCU118 Development Kit.
FireFly™ Features and Benefits
- Future-proof: Interchangeability of FireFly™ copper and optical cable assemblies using the same high-performance connector set
- Miniature Footprint: Allows for greater density and closer proximity to the IC, simplifying board layout and enhancing signal integrity
- High-performance Versatility: Data “flies” over lossy PCB for up to 28 Gbps per lane with a path to 56 Gbps via optical cable at greater distances – or copper for shorter reach
- Ease of Use: Simple assembly process with easy insertion/removal and trace routing, and 2-piece surface mount connector system with no screws required
- ECUO – FireFly™ Optical Micro Flyover Cable Assembly
- ETUO – Extended Temperature FireFly™ Optical achieves a -40 ºC to +85 ºC range for more rugged applications.
- PCUO – PCIe®-Over-FireFly™ Optical transmits PCIe® signals at Gen 3 data transfer rates through FireFly™ optical up to 100 meters.
- ECUE/ECUE-E – FireFly™ Copper is the highest performance and highest density copper flyover solution, available as standard, and active or passive equalized. See the Twinax Flyover Application Design Guide for more information.
- UEC5/UCC8 – 2-Piece Connector Set for use with optical and copper FireFly™
Advanced Design Services
Samtec’s award winning customer service is not lost on optics. We have assembled a unique team of the industry’s leading signal integrity engineers, including Teraspeed® engineers’ design expertise and extensive experience in high-performance systems, to provide Tier 1 level support for advanced optical solutions.
For more information, please contact Optics@samtec.com