This is the first release of a few phases of a new login system for Samtec.com. This replaces a system that was built in 2011 and has been running well ever since.
But, technology changes over time, and it was time for an upgrade.
Here are some additional details about the features you can see today, and what to expect in the future.
Upgraded Security for Users
With privacy and security sweeping the web in the past couple of years, we got the message. We have built in several forms of security into this new login system for users.
- Fully encrypted login details
- Email confirmation requirement for new accounts
- An authenticated login link option via email (that expires after 24 hours)
- Account lockout rules after repeated login attempts (to mitigate brute-force attempts)
- Recovery security questions that are set specifically by the user
- Unique account recovery links that can be generated by customer support
Multiple Self-Service Options
One of our goals with the new system is to allow users to get into their accounts as quickly as possible and without needing to talk to a customer service associate. Of course, we will be available if needed, but these options will be much faster and available 24/7.
We built several self-service options to assist with this.
- An easy-to-use Forgot Password system
- The ability to set a unique security question at the account level. A correct answer to this question will immediately allow the user reset their password.
- An authenticated login link that can be sent via email, in case of a forgotten password. This allows authorized email users a way to get logged in securely.
Automated Emails from SendGrid
We also swapped all of the automated emails that we send through this new system to SendGrid, the global leader in email deliverability. If an email doesn’t get through for some reason, it’s probably due to strict IT department rules, rather than an issue with this system.
This will help ensure that when users ask for an account reset email, login link, etc, that the email will arrive within seconds, speeding up the experience for everyone involved.
Profile Management Options (coming soon)
The next step with this system is to allow users to more easily manage their profile settings for Samtec.com.
This will be information such as physical addresses, currency, saved shipping locations, and more. Expect more about these in Q4 of 2019.
Send Us Your Feedback
We’re always looking for ways to improve your online experience.
Drop your email address in the form below if you want to stay in the loop with these updates, as well as the rest of our blog content.
If you have any feedback or suggestions for our web team, feel free to send an email to eHelpDesk@samtec.com.