As an ANSI/VITA member, Samtec is proud to release new connector sets compliant with the revised ANSI/VITA 42.0-2016 XMC Standard. VITA 42 XMC defines an open standard for supporting high-speed, switched interconnect protocols on an existing, widely deployed form factor.
VITA 42 XMC And Connectors
This revision further defines the concept for the preferred Standard connectors in XMC applications including:
- Solder ball attachment replaced Paste-On-Pad (POP) for improved solder joints
- Low Insertion Force (LIF) sockets to ease mating and un-mating
- Tin-lead alloy available as a solder option
- Revised ASP catalog numbers
- 12 mm stack height
Based on these guidelines, Samtec is releasing 12 mm stack height options which expands the existing family of ANSI/VITA 42 XMC Standard connectors. Chosen for high reliability stemming from the multipoint-of-contact SamArray® sockets and robust solder ball design, the updated connector set has been specified for current XMC systems.
Samtec’s growing catalog of XMC connectors enable switched communication between a mezzanine card and its carrier. In addition to transmitting sensitive high-speed data, these connectors provide power, ground, and auxiliary signals to the mezzanine. The 12 mm mated connector set further optimizes XMC cards for use in wider modules, designed for 1.00″ pitch cage systems.
Since the Standard was launched, Samtec supported hundreds of system designers who expressed the need for an alternative to paste-on-pad attachments while providing Low Insertion Force contacts.
The Expanding XMC Ecosystem
The XMC standard allows for greater configuration of embedded systems on both ends of the market. With a focus dedicated to flexibility, XMC allows the designer to add modules for greater performance, additional functionality, or to upgrade an existing XMC system. Here is are some systems using XMC.
Due to this modular design, XMC is well-suited for a wide variety of technologies advancing at different rates, thus extending the resourcefulness of its mezzanine/carrier cards. Key features of XMC include:
- High-speed switched interconnects
- XMC connectors able to provide power, ground, and auxiliary signals to mezzanine
- Compatibility with existing PMC specifications
- Features Standard VME, CompactPCI, Advanced TCA, and PCI Express® carriers
- Available in variable stacking heights of 10 mm and 12 mm
Other Links That May Be Of Interest
- Samtec VITA Overview Page
- Samtec Rewrites The VITA 42 Story
- VITA 42 XMC Keeps On Truckin’
- Samtec Releases New VITA 74 VNX Compliant Connectors
- VITA 57 Solutions Enable Scalable ASIC Development Platforms
- VITA Website